[MUD-Dev] Re: Telnet Echo OFF/ON commands and other thingies..

Thu Oct 1 21:19:18 CEST 1998

[Bruce Mitchener:]

 >To turn echo off: `[255, 251, 1, 0, 13]
 >To turn echo on:  `[255, 252, 1, 0, 13]

I understand the first three bytes of these (IAC, WILL/WONT, ECHO), but
what are the NUL and the CR for? Do some telnet clients require those?

My testing (with a fairly small set of telnet clients) shows that
some do not respond to this correctly. They signal back that they
will start echoing again, but don't do so.

Note also that if you try to do any telnet commands like this, you should
be prepared to either pay attention to, or discard, the replies you
should get back. Typically [255, 253, 1] / [255, 254, 1].

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA