[MUD-Dev] Re: Storytelling vs. Simulationist (Was Re: Room descriptions)

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sat Oct 3 02:22:35 CEST 1998

On 04:05 AM 10/3/98 -0400, I personally witnessed ApplePiMan at aol.com
jumping up to say:

>So please don't think of me as a corporate fat cat or some sort of big
>shot. I'm just yer average joe who happens to have the title of CEO in a
>tiny startup with a huge dream.

Shhhhh... don't tell people. How are you ever going to take advantage of
all the undeserved respect people will give you just for having that title
if you tell them you're just a tiny little startup?

Besides, Microsoft used to be a tiny little startup, too. Most companies
that were never tiny little startups amount to slightly less than squat. ;)

>that certainly doesn't make "my" method any more valuable or
>productive or even "right" than "your" method (or vice versa). It just
>means we're both approaching the same problem space from different
>directions and viewpoints, and that what "makes sense" for one of us
>might not for the other. But for all I know, you and I might each be
>holding the missing pieces of the others' puzzle...

I mainly just wanted to wave this paragraph around a little. It's an
attitude we see precious little of in the world, and I think we ought to
see more of it. This cuts through all the barriers; I don't know the
answer, you don't know the answer, both of us are looking for it. We may as
well compare notes.

A little thought I just had, which may be something profoundly significant,
or then again maybe not: Every problem worth solving has more than one
solution. Maybe we could all just sit back and think about that a little.
As the fire burneth a wood, and the flame setteth the mountains on fire;
So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm.
Caliban Tiresias Darklock     <caliban at darklock.com> | "Hell, you don't
Darklock Communications   <http://www.darklock.com/> |  know me."
FREE KEVIN MITNICK!   <http://www.kevinmitnick.com/> |    - Charles Manson