[MUD-Dev] Re: [DESIGN] To kill or not to kill? (non-violent conflict)

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Sat Oct 3 17:20:12 CEST 1998

The Wildman wrote:

[snip intro]

> I'd like to start a discussion about game design relating to a more
> intellectual game, where the conflict is not combat-oriented. I'm thinking
> of something along the lines of the old TV series The Prisoner played out.
> I've done this before as a tabletop RPG and it worked out quite well, being
> something like Paranoia. I have some ideas on doing this on a mud, but I
> think the concept makes for some interesting discussion.

I have vague memories of The Prisoner (although the only bit that comes to
mind is: "You, are number six" ... "I am not a number, I am a free man!" ;)
I've also heard a fair bit about Paranoia (although I've not played it), so
I can picture the sort of thing you have in mind - I would guess puzzle-
orientated, in a controlled environment of some sort.

Paranoia-style conflicts sounds very interesting - but how will you turn the
players against each other?  How will you let them resolve their conflicts
without combat?

KaVir.