[MUD-Dev] Re: [DESIGN] To kill or not to kill? (non-violent conflict)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sat Oct 3 18:40:26 CEST 1998

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Sat 03 Oct, The Wildman wrote:

> First, I'll introduce myself:

Welcome to the list :)

> I'd like to start a discussion about game design relating to a more
> intellectual game, where the conflict is not combat-oriented. I'm thinking
> of something along the lines of the old TV series The Prisoner played out.
> I've done this before as a tabletop RPG and it worked out quite well, being
> something like Paranoia. I have some ideas on doing this on a mud, but I
> think the concept makes for some interesting discussion.
> Note, this isn't quite the "Tailor" discussion, as it doesn't involve
> violent conflict at all.

Actually, I wrote the Tailor scenario to highlight much the same
point you seem to be trying to adress: How can a game accomodate
the players who do not want to be fighters, without forcing them
to become fighters? (the tailor in the scenario is not interest-
ed in fighting, is obviously not good at it anyway, and the game
should not force her to become a fighter just to be able to play
the game).
At least two of us (that is Dr.Cat and me) feel that perhaps the
only solution lies in removing combat  as much as possible  from
the game.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,