[MUD-Dev] Re: Storytelling vs. Simulationist (Was Re: Room descriptions)

Hal Black hal at moos.ml.org
Sat Oct 3 23:36:51 CEST 1998

On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 02:42:24AM -0700, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> On 12:58 AM 10/3/98 -0400, I personally witnessed ApplePiMan at aol.com
> jumping up to say:
>
> >I can't comment much
> >more on systems that are under NDA and in fact may be patentable,
>
> I'd urge you to consider the impact of patenting your systems. First, that
> means no one else can use it for several years. Second, that means you
> don't have any effective competition. The first is just plain unfair, and
> the second doesn't exactly encourage you to do the best job you can on the
> implementation. Just think about it. I won't tell you what to do, but I
> really do dislike patents and think the world would be a better place with
> fewer of them.

Not to mention that once you start using the legal system to gain market share,
you're going to need a LOT of money for attorneys.  If someone sees that you
are a little guy with a software patent (unless it's truly revolutionary and
deserves a patent), they are going to put the squeeze on you.  I agree it's a
good idea not to comment if you plan on selling it, chances are some vagrant
like me will snarf it up and implement it and take the wind out of your
sails.  8')

Anyway, good luck with it your company.