[MUD-Dev] Re: Marian's Tailor vs. Psychopaths

S. Patrick Gallaty choke at sirius.com
Tue Oct 6 11:40:49 CEST 1998

There's a key element lacking in UO's design - that which
the social element has no teeth.  The lone gunman is all-
powerful in UO, and thus it really doesn't matter aside from
the difficulty of codified losses how bad you are.

Compare this to something like EQ's fundamental design -
where it's pretty much impossible to advance without
participating in parties and groups past the 20th level
(of 50).

Already the power-gamers, "killers" if you will (no apologies
to the recently hysterical here) are howling that this will 'ruin
the game.'  The truth is that the socializers and players
are seeing that they are coming out on top, since they tend
to make friends and cooperate - at least in the selective
audience that the beta represents.

So don't dismiss the power of peer control.  That's how most
society works.  Question the tools you give the peers, not
the fundament.