[MUD-Dev] Re: Spoofing (Psychopaths)

Tue Oct 6 16:43:49 CEST 1998

"Koster, Raph" wrote:
> > (What I find interesting about The Palace is that "spoofing"
> > is actually a deliberate design choice, and social control is preferred
> > over removing the functionality.)
>
> Interesting. I had never noticed that about The Palace. How does it work
> out?

You can arbitrarily position a bubble I believe.  According to Suler the
motivation is Bumgardner's vision.  He believes that a basic user motivation
is to get away with something out-of-the-ordinary (AFAIK).  Which is pretty
much what I've seen in various systems.  (I still think spoofs should be
designed away though.)

The Palace community seems to think that fun (pun) features shouldn't be
removed just because "jerks" abuse them.  (You'll find more in Suler's
writings I believe).
--
Ola