[MUD-Dev] Re: Current Projects

Travis S. Casey efindel at io.com
Fri Oct 9 15:07:57 CEST 1998

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Alex Stewart wrote:

> What are your current projects?  For those of us out here pushing the
> technological envelope (or just hacking around), what are we up to, anyway?

I'm one of the people in the FAQ, but I'm not sure how up-to-date my entry
there is...

> In particular:
>  * What kind of software are you working on? (MUD driver, MUD client, etc?)

None, currently.  However, I am working on revising my Continuum paper RPG
system and working on my fantasy world of Tobara.  On the back burner are
ideas for a spell description language and several other game worlds.

>  * Why?

Lack of time.  At the moment, I'm really only capable of focusing on one
project at a time... and right now, software isn't it.  Most likely, by
the time I have time to focus on software again (which I see as happening
in two to five years), the state of the art in muds will have moved up a
bit, so I don't know what I'll do then.

>  * What are its features?

Symmetrical task resolution, high flexibility, a very nice logarithmic
scale, and a meta-system approach to creating characters.

Continuum will be similar to FUDGE in many ways -- it's more of a toolkit
for creating your own game than a game itself.  However, I'm trying to be
more fine-grained than FUDGE is, and to provide more concrete examples.