[MUD-Dev] Re: Trusting the Client (Re: Laws of Online World D esign)

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Wed Oct 14 15:00:08 CEST 1998

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998 15:38:21 -0500
Wilburn, E J<WilburnE at kochind.com> wrote:

> The only real problem I can forsee would be the user hacking the
> client to respond to triggers much quicker than they would be able
> to manually.  In most cases this presents no problem but it all
> depends on your implentation and wether or not your game includes
> any time sensitive listening procs.  Most clients build in some
> form of Macros which is esentially the same thing (with or without
> the trigger ability).

Given that I actively support and encourage free user programming on
the server, this is hardly a problem.  Any automation or
intelligence you can implement as a client-side function can be done
as server-side soft-code with the advantage of guaranteed response
time (which is not present for a client) as well as an environment
specifically crafted to support such operations.

Given that world, automated clients are generally at a potential
disadvantage (for the first time) as verus straight telnet users.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com