[MUD-Dev] Re: Trusting the Client (Re: Laws of Online World Design)

Wed Oct 14 20:26:09 CEST 1998

[J C Lawrence:]

 >Chris Gray<cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA> wrote:
 >
 >> [J C Lawrence:]
 >>> 3) Data I don't care if its correct or not.
 >
 >>> Examples of each:
 >
 >>> #3 Predictive data from clients, or data from clients that
 >>> doesn't directly affect world state (eg SAY, TELL).
 >
 >> Only if no NPC hears what is spoken and acts on it. E.g.
 >
 >>     tell packrat to kill Chris
 >
 ><ponder>
 >
 >I fail to see how this is a compromise outside of the case where the
 >claimed originator of the command is forged (already caught by
 >simple veracity checking -- commands for characters can only
 >originate from clients representing those characters).

[Long clip to get context.]

I must have missed or ignored some important context. I was just trying
to show that things like SAY and TELL can affect world state. Perhaps
not directly enough to matter in the context that I've missed.

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA