[MUD-Dev] Bruce Sterling on Virtual Community goals

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Thu Oct 15 11:24:42 CEST 1998

He has a point, not only in comparison to MUD-Dev itself (MUD-Dev is
a MUD!  No its not!), but to our more standard fare of MUDs:

  http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/15611.html

--<cut>--

Declaring virtual communities an oxymoron, Sterling told ApacheCon
98 attendees that he thinks people gathering together on the Web
need peer review systems like those used in scientific communities.

"Peer review does work," he said. "It works in the world of science
every day. If we could get a system like this into production in the
online world, I think it would be a hugely powerful advance."

Sterling, author of The Hacker Crackdown among other things,
challenged his audience to create software that would promote
scholarly discipline among online collaborators.

--<cut>--

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com