[MUD-Dev] Re: OT: TTYQuake

Adam Wiggins adam at angel.com
Fri Oct 16 11:19:47 CEST 1998

> http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/

Yeah, this was on slashdot a few weeks back.  A real hoot; it looks pretty
darn good on a 160x120 xterm.

Actually I was a bit disappointed.  I was *really* hoping for:

% n
You enter a large chamber, similar to all the others.
There is a space marine here.
% switch to railgun
You put away your rocket launcher, and pull out your railgun.
The space marine fires a grenade from her grenade launcher.
The grenade bounces around near your feet.
% strafe left
You glide left, keeping your gun trained forward.
% fire railgun at marine
You squeeze the trigger on your railgun and a blue spiral follows the
projectile straight into the space marine's chest!
The space marine is dead! R.I.P.
You get your share of 1 kill(s).
%

A friend of mine actually did something like this for a little arcade game
he wrote.  It was a Defender-style game, but you could hit various
function keys to enter different "modes".  There was old movie mode, which
turned the palette black and white, K-RAD D00DZ mode which surrounded the
screen with weird demo effects, and of course internet mode, which
switched to a text screen and let you "play" the game by typing commands
like "pull up", "dive", "fire cannon", etc.  He even added little bursts
of simulated lag.