[MUD-Dev] Re: Trusting the Client (Re: Laws of Online World D esign)

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Fri Oct 16 22:30:49 CEST 1998

Wilburn, E.J. wrote:

> I don't know if you're at all familiar with Subspace from Virgin
> Interactive <http://www.vie.com/subspace>, but they would attempt to detect
> any debuggers in memory and then log the IP address of the system
> attempting to debug their program.  I'm not sure how well it worked but the
> few months I spent playing SubSpace were relatively cheat free.

Here's next flamebite: okay, they cheat. So what? I remember a statement
like "the fun is the paramount", so no matter what they do, they're
having fun and as long as you don't lose your profits (presumed it's
about a commercial MUD), you're fine.

And, the crackers play a positive role as well - I doubt your losses
would be THAT bad if even you charge $20/hour, but they will definitely
spot the weak links in your system, and ultimately you will thank them.

--
vt, tired to death, 15 days to production and ticking