[MUD-Dev] Re: Bruce Sterling on Virtual Community goals

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 19 22:22:12 CEST 1998

On 19 Oct 98, Jon Leonard wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 05:37:55PM -0600, Chris Gray wrote:
>
> > I'd be game to do an in-MUD programming language component, but I betcha
> > few people would like the language (mostly strongly typed, syntax not
> > at all like C, etc.)
>
> My Lisp-like language would probably be as unpopular as your language.
> I think a better approach would be to figure out what kind of primitives
> a language might need from the rest of the server.  That lets us have
> several different languages (possibly simultaneously), as tastes will
> vary.
>
> I don't think a single monolithic server would be flexible enough for
> what most of us are interested in.   I'd build a mix and match collection
> of components for things like internal language.  Some successful MUDs
> don't have internal languages at all, and that's a model we should support
> too.

You're right.  I think a better way to approach an extensible
(generic?) internal mud language is to design the VM first.  More
particularly a byte-code assembler.  From there, anyone could create
a compiler for their favorite language du jour.   If you prefer
strong typing over weak typing, the compiler would simply ignore or
not generate opcodes that deal with type promotions/conversions.

This sounds like an interesting project.  Something where you could
limit the scope quite nicely to a drop in VM component with clearly
delineated boundaries.

I'm game.  :)

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--