[MUD-Dev] Re: Trusting the Client (Re: Laws of Online World Design)

Jon Leonard jleonard at divcom.slimy.com
Tue Oct 20 18:39:57 CEST 1998

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 11:43:02AM -0500, Steve Sparks wrote:
[stuff about how to track down cheating users]

[> > = Jon Leonard, > > > = Steve Sparks]

I think we're discussing this from very different perspectives.  It's clear
that you're skilled at tracking down troublesome users.  I'm much more
interested is setting up systems where I don't have to.  As such, I'm
worried about a hypothetical highly skilled troublemaker, who leaves minimal
clues.

It sounds like my hypothetical troublemaker is rare enough that you're not
that worried about him.  This is good to know!

[Tracking down a user via dynamic IP]
> Yea, Automation would be impossible to fix problems like this other than
> not allowing connections from "problem prone" domains.

Is this done much commercially?  I'd presume that a commercial service
would hate to do that, but I could be wrong.  I know it's used as a method
of last resort on for-free MUDs.

> BTW: I just left UO as a DBA for the accounts system and have successfully
> chased down many people cheating and causing problem using IP (even
> dynamic). A person tends to leave tracks and traces of there identity
> every time they login to the net.

Got it.  I'm just not convinced that people always leave tracks.

Jon Leonard