[MUD-Dev] Re: Hacks/Diablo/etc (was: Re: [MUD-Dev] Re: Trusting the Client (Re: Laws of Online World D esign))

quzah quzah
Wed Oct 21 00:15:37 CEST 1998

From: Steve Sparks <ssparks at enigma.sss.org> on Tuesday, October 20, 1998 at
12:02 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: Trusting the Client (Re: Laws of Online World D esign)

   [Raph Koster]
>> >Strict: play that obeys the intent of the rules created by the games'
>> >designers.
>> >
>> >Loose: whatever keeps the most players happy.
>> >
>> >Crack programs break both of these. I have NEVER seen a game where
>> >prevalence of hack programs was regarded as a good thing by either the
>> >designers or the playerbase as a whole.
>> >
>> >-Raph
>>
>> The character backup program for Diablo(tm) for online playing.
>> I believe some of these allowed you to duplicate items, but the
>> one I had around did not. Thus, it was handy when you wanted to
>> play by yourself, or in a locked game with a pal and didn't want
>> to worry about all of the cheaters coming in and slaughtering
>> you. Shrug.
>> -Q-
>
>That sounds like normal play to me :)
>
>Did you ever try the diablo dup bug where you login and drop all your gold
>then hit alt-f4? :-P
>
>Steve

Nope. The only reason I used it was once you had tromped Diablo in
single player umpteen times, it got really boring (then the only
"fun" was entering a new game and loading if you didn't like the
junk in the shop). So, I'd use the character backup to play it
in single player "lan mode" so I could play on a higher level of
difficulty. (At least the good thing about the "hellfire" add on
was you could play normally in single player mode on a harder
level, so I could continue my original character for a while.)

Still, it got old after a while.
-Q-