[MUD-Dev] Re: Bruce Sterling on Virtual Community goals

Adam J. Thornton adam at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Wed Oct 21 10:51:37 CEST 1998

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 11:02:58PM -0700, Bruce Mitchener, Jr. wrote:
> I'd love to write a full post or ten about distribution and why I don't
> think it has to happen at the driver (VM) level, but, rather, can be an
> feature of the DB/core built on top of the base system.  My personal plan is
> to base my core around event channels, and to not limit them to just the
> single server, but allow events to flow between servers, with all of that
> code being written in the embedded language.  Of course, if the events are
> specified well enough, who is to say that one couldn't write some sort of
> event processor in Python, or Java, or C?  I haven't seen network extensions
> for Intercal, so perhaps Intercal wouldn't be permissible.

INTERCAL?  Sure.  Just make sure you're running on a system which
memory-maps its IO, and then you can use READ OUT.

I have this sick fantasy that sometime when I'n doing nothing else at all
for a year--perhaps laid up in bed, able to move only my fingertips, after
an encounter with Dijkstra's goons who want to remind me *just how harmful*
GOTO can be--I can port ADVENT to INTERCAL, thus unifying the Two Great Don
Woods Projects.

Making it multiplayer would doubtless be the next step.

Adam
adam at princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman