[MUD-Dev] Re: Bruce Sterling on Virtual Community goals

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Wed Oct 21 15:35:11 CEST 1998

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:22:05 +0200 (MET DST)
Niklas Elmqvist<d97elm at dtek.chalmers.se> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Darrin Hyrup wrote:

>> A driver should act like the kernel of an OS.

> Amen to that. Mirrors exactly my thinking. OS design is a good
> source of inspiration.

Utterly serious suggestion:

  Start with the kernel for a very light weight pre-emptive OS (one
of the microkernel designs or Sys7-style small systems) and then
build from there, replacing the filesystem with a transparent DB
structure, the shell with a world-view, and then have more classical
"shells" and scripting languages as child programs from there.

BTW:  This is a moderately accurate description of Shades in its
early days.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at kanga.nu
(Contractor)                              Internet: coder at kanga.nu
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com