[MUD-Dev] Golgotha as it applies to PDMud (was Re: Crack.Com deceased, Golgotha source , released (sorta))

Niklas Elmqvist d97elm at dtek.chalmers.se
Fri Oct 23 23:53:10 CEST 1998

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Bruce Mitchener, Jr. wrote:

On Friday, October 23, 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:

> http://www.crack.com/golgotha_release/
>
> Golgotha was producing a 3D first person shooter, much in the line
> of Quake et al but with the added bonus that they seem to handle
> unbounded spaces well (check out the screen shots), what look like
> moderately useful terrain generation/mapping tools, and an attempt
> at military positional analysis.  The source is now released under a
> pretty flexible license.
>
> MUD client?

Indeed! Why not a PDMud client? As I am currently in a phase where
everything I see can find a potential use in PDMud (or DevMUD, which is
kinda nice too), this is a natural reaction.

I've been doing some game and graphics programming myself, and it should
not be too hard to extract the rendering routines we want and build a
client around it. Tack on some networking code (or use the ones found in
the source), build a module set for PDMud which supports the client, and
voil=E1! There is something deeply satisfying with people being able to r=
un
their own Everquests or Asheron Call's on their own computers. :)

Also, it could be useful for the entire project to define a requirement
analysis from the viewpoint of a graphical MUD. I am thinking that one of
the teams we should try to assemble should focus on a graphical world and
module set for the engine.=20

-- Niklas Elmqvist (d97elm at dtek.chalmers.se) ----------------------
  "The trouble with being a god is that you've got no one to=20
   pray to."
		-- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods