[MUD-Dev] Re: PDMud thread summary

ApplePiMan at aol.com ApplePiMan at aol.com
Sun Oct 25 19:16:22 CET 1998

At 10/24/98 8:07 PM James Wilson (jwilson at rochester.rr.com) altered the
fabric of reality by uttering:

>On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, ApplePiMan at aol.com wrote:
>>Could you perhaps point those of us
>>ignorant of such matters to a good resource for learning about the
>>various gc schemes?
>
>see <url:ftp://ftp.cs.utexas.edu/pub/garbage/bigsurv.ps> for one
>survey. Or try
><url:http://www.cs.ukc.ac.uk/people/staff/rej/gcbib/gcbibW.html>.

Thanks! Very obviously, this subject is too deep for me to have absorbed
any but the broadest of overviews since you sent those URLs, but I can
now (semi-)advisedly say it's not nearly as important to me exactly *how*
gc occurs as that it does. I'll leave it to the expert(s) on the list (so
far, it looks like that's you, James, since no one else seems to have
commented) to determine the best scheme.

>I have difficulty imagining a system in which the choice of gc algorithm
>is up to each module, which would seem to imply that gc would have to go
>in the core with threading and dynamic loading.

Oh, absolutely! =) I can't help but think the alternative would become
unworkable very quickly.

-Rick.

Rick Buck, President and CEO  <mailto:rlb at big-i.com>
Beyond Infinity Games, Inc.