[MUD-Dev] Re: OpenMUD: bus-based communications

Niklas Elmqvist d97elm at dtek.chalmers.se
Sun Oct 25 20:49:06 CET 1998

[Chris Gray:]
> [Niklas Elmqvist:]
>  >In addition, as Chris Gray stated in another post, the bus/pipe is as good
>  >place as any for queued messages to wait while they await the attention of
>  >their modules in a multi-threaded system.
>
> Er, I think I said that that was a bad idea. That forces everyone to use
> the slow method, whether they need it or not. In my long post I said
> that modules like a network interface that would need queueing,
> could do it themselves. I also said that I thought having a thread per
> module was a bad idea, since that was forcing an inefficient structure
> that wasn't necessary, and didn't provided the type of thread control
> that would be most useful.
>
> At least, *I* think I said those things.

Sorry. I was referring to that thing you said about some modules needing
queueing to allow multi-threading, and did not mean to try to twist your
words to favor my own cause. I guess I was just trying to say too much in
one single sentence :)

> Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA

-- Niklas Elmqvist (d97elm at dtek.chalmers.se) ----------------------
  "The trouble with being a god is that you've got no one to
   pray to."
		-- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods