[MUD-Dev] Re: DevMUD module configuration

Bruce Bruce
Mon Oct 26 19:41:20 CET 1998

On Monday, October 26, 1998, James Wilson wrote:
>On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Jon Leonard wrote:
>>As I was putting together a prototype this weekend, I realized that we
>>don't yet have a sufficiently flexible scheme for configuring modules
>>when we assemble them into a server.
>
>the way this was done in linux is instructive. modules are initialized
>much like executables, i.e.
>
>/sbin/insmod 3c509.o io=0x300
>
>(I'm sure you know this, I'm just being rhetorical.) this seems a useful
>paradigm (modules in Perl are also amenable to this sort of treatment). As
>mentioned, the system I built a couple years ago used a text config file
>for just this purpose. I like your proposal much better though for runtime
>configuration.

One might consider looking at ACE,
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html, which was brought up briefly on
the list some months ago.

They have a 'ServiceConfigurator' class that does some of what you are
discussing here.  Lots of other interesting pieces of work in ACE and lots
of papers written by Douglas Schmidt about it.

 - Bruce