[MUD-Dev] Re: OT, kinda, but yay :)

Jo Dillon emily at thelonious.new.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 27 09:29:45 CET 1998

Adam Wiggins (adam at angel.com) spake thusly:
> can be hell on your wordwrapping routine if you're using smallish
> dialog boxes; you'll need to work with the translaters to have them
> indicate where legal places for hypanated breaks at the end of the lines
> should go.  As you can tell I've been through this before...

  I believe the normal method on free Unices (i.e. with gtk and Qt)
is to use packing boxes - a bit like Java layout managers. That could
still be a problem with, say, Chinese, and it also makes it harder to
construct a really beautiful dialogue box. But it's probably the way
to go in a graphical client. Another interesting thought - does Telnet
have any support for non-Latin1 text?

> Makes me glad I'm an American.  Our language may be convulted, but
> at least it only uses 26 characters which rarely require any embelishment.
> <Texas accent> We don't need no steeeeeeeeeken unicode! </Texas accent>

  I dunno, chauvinistic Americans :) If you'd looked outside your own
borders when inventing ASCII we wouldn't be in such a mess today ;)

--
	Jo

Harmony - the project to create an LGPL Qt clone
http://harmony.ruhr.de