[MUD-Dev] Re: Recursive look

Thu Oct 29 23:09:36 CET 1998

Marian Griffith wrote:
> Something like that would be a sure way to drive any woman away from the
> computer games even more so than happens already. I think we have talked
> in length about my views on the average computer game,  and their appeal
> already though.  Sexism is very annoying to encounter in reality (I have
> a bit stronger expression for it but I try to keep up appearances ;) and
> I have no wish to see any more of it in the little time I spend on line,
> than I do already. I am not implying that sexism is worse than any other
> form of discrimination, it just happens to be the one I am victim of, so
> I feel more strongly about it.  As everybody is discriminated against in
> some way  I guess there are a lot of things that should be kept out of a
> game ...

What about sexual games?  Are they sexist, per se?

http://interactfiction.tqn.com/library/weekly/aa081098.htm

I don't think it is sexist to admire women... They dress to be looked at,
right?  In a RPG the player should probably be able to specify how sexy or
how potent they are. Then it is your own choice if the game treats you as a
sex-object.  In that context it makes a lot more sense:

  Miss Kitsch arrives.
  Miss Kitsch looks so HOT, you can't keep your eyes off her.
  Miss Kitsch left.
  Your pockets are empty.

I think that is kinda cute... If you make all women look like helpless
sexobjects then it is sexist. There are other ways:

  Miss Kitsch arrives.
  You get overly excited, A WOMAN at last.
  Miss Kitsch winks "Follow me, Hunk!".
  Miss Kitsch left west.
  You're so excited, moving would hurt!  Fuck those tight jeans...
  ...Oh, there we go! Your pants are wet and sticky... *sigh*

Etc...

I think it is a good idea to let users experience silly situations which
they can recognize from their own life, and grin at. We are all sex-slaves
in some sense... I don't see why sex has to be so taboo ridden.  Women look
at men's butts too, right? (there is no use denying it...) And in fact, I
think a lot of sexually mature (selfconfident) women would find such games
funny, given the physical safety and anonymity the net provides.

However, if the game goes on to set stereotypical standards for breast
sizes, penis sizes and butt sizes then it is off limits.  I don't see sex as
the problem, but telling the user implicitly that their physical self is not
sexy, or that you have to look like this or that, or that sexy people are
stupid, is a very bad idea...

Agree?
--
Ola