[MUD-Dev] Re: DevMUD Objectives?

Fri Oct 30 19:43:33 CET 1998

[Shane King/Thandor:]

 >hehehe. Well, I'm glad you say half the stuff is over your head, I don't feel
 >quite so stupid now. ;)

So how come its always me that has to ask the dumb questions? :-)

 >Maybe it's a good thing. I'm a worrier though. What if someone goes ahead and
 >implements their brilliant design, that only they understand. What happens
 >when they lose interest in DevMUD? Who want's to try to decipher what the heck
 >they did to fix any bugs there? You go too far out on the bleeding edge and
 >you cut yourself, you know.

I agree with a lot of the cautions you are giving, Shane. The key thing
is that we want to produce something that is worth our effort in producing.
There isn't much point in spending a lot of effort re-doing the same
old stuff. I'm beginning to really like the idea of a framework with
a bunch of selectable modules. The tough part is going to be that of
ironing out how the interfaces should work. Jon's sample system shows
how it *can* work, and Niklas idea's have not gone unheard. I think
those are likely two extremes - a simple real implementation versus
some very abstract ideas. Hopefully we'll eventually settle somewhere
in the middle.

Another big issue is the object model. I think we're slowly feeling
our way in that direction.

Maybe I'll make another of my big rambling posts this weekend. Beware!

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation. - me

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA