[MUD-Dev] Re: Recursive look

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 31 01:53:11 CET 1998

On 29 Oct 98, Marian Griffith wrote:
> In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Tue 27 Oct, Brandon J. Rickman wrote:
>
> > people who just sit and chat all the time - they must think they're so
> > cool, but really they're losers.
> > people who use macros and clients - don't bother to talk to them, they
> > aren't paying attention.
>
> Yes, but they too are prejudices.  And discrimination is discrimination,
> regardless who is the victim of it  and why.  Now I do not mean to imply
> that you could be guilty of that, the original remark just rubbed me the
> wrong way and I responded in kind I suppose.

No those aren't prejudices.  You would have to illustrate that either
the person(s) holding those opinions have performed harmful
action(s) to the individuals in  question or that their opinions are
completely irrational and without grounds.

Discrimination is different term.  My dictionary defines it as
"using good judgement".  Then there's another definition that says
"to make a difference in treatment or favor on a basis other than
individual merit".  Still even this is not always a bad thing.   It
does not indicate that a judgement is based in the absence of reason,
just that other factors were involved.  Discrimination in the
absence of reason would of course be prejudice.

I don't believe anyone has an inalienable right to force or demand
that their individual merit to be taken into consideration by
another.

There are however situations where law, ethics or morality require
one to make a decision based primarily on individual merit.

> than I do already. I am not implying that sexism is worse than any other
> form of discrimination, it just happens to be the one I am victim of, so
> I feel more strongly about it.  As everybody is discriminated against in
> some way  I guess there are a lot of things that should be kept out of a
> game ...

Hmm... maybe humans?
--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--