[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev's DevMUD: a word of caution

Cynbe ru Taren cynbe at muq.org
Sat Oct 31 16:28:16 CET 1998

| > The first version of UNIX was done by 2 or 3 guys in their spare time, in
| > order to meet their own goals. I really doubt any formal planning was done.
|
| I think it was made by one guy, Ken Thompson, but don't forget that MULTICS
| came first...

  http://deepthought.texsci.edu/cclub/info_history.htm

has a fairly sanitized thumbnail history of Unix.

Since it gets suppressed in the sanitized histories and this is
mud-dev, it might be worth remembering that the real motivation
for writing Unix was that they wanted a host for SpaceWar, and
refused to use any of the existing OSes... :)

They then conned AT&T into buying them a bigger host by arguing that
the secretaries could use it for word processing.  (!)  Seems like
chutzpah pays off, sometimes. :)

 Cynbe