[MUD-Dev] In-Game Languages

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sun Apr 4 11:33:45 CEST 1999

On 10:00 AM 4/4/99 -0600, I personally witnessed Chris Gray jumping up to say:
>[Eli Stevens:]
>
> >It works by converting each of the 26 letters of the English alphabet into
> >one of the ten characters that define the language.
>
>Is there some linguistic basis behind needing only ten letters?

I think that's primarily so someone without language skill X can't write a
script to translate it into English -- thus invalidating ALL the language
skills.

Well, you COULD, but it wouldn't work very well. I like the idea that you
can 'fake' it with a script if you're willing to accept the error margin,
myself. Anything that allows you to carry certain knowledge around as a
PLAYER instead of as an attribute of your character is a plus, in my book.

>How does someone with the given language skill read the output? Do they
>simply get the untranslated version, and others get the translated version?
>Does this work for written material too?

I would expect so on all the above. I adore this technique, incidentally.
Applause, applause.

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu