[MUD-Dev] In-Game Languages

Mik Clarke mikclrk at ibm.net
Sun Apr 4 23:00:52 CEST 1999

Eli Stevens (KiZurich) wrote:

> Thoughts?  Comments?  Does anyone else have any projects along these lines? I
> remember once, a long time back, KaVir had posted (on alt.mud.programming)
> some pretty intense code for enforcing naming rules for PCs, making them
> conform to a language.  If you are listening, do you still have those (and,
> more importantly, do you want to share?  :) KaVir?

I tried something similer (using random garble rather than an predictable
translation) and found an interesting problem.  Newbies couldn't communicate
with anyone in character.  This made it very hard for them to ask questions,
find their way around and make friends.  The solution now it to have everyone
fluent in English and just let the other languages be garbled to those who don't
know them.

Mik

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu