[MUD-Dev] target audience

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Fri Apr 9 22:19:17 CEST 1999

On 05:17 PM 4/9/99 -0700, I personally witnessed Matthew Mihaly jumping up
to say:

>Apologies to those of you for whom this mail holds no interest, but I was
>wondering, for you commerical text mud operators out there, what you
>consider to be your target audience in terms of sex, age, income,
>occupation, etc.

I don't generally think about those specific areas when designing a game,
but I tend to expect that the "average" player on one of my games will be a
male between the ages of 18 and 25, who is probably making less than $40K
-- usually in the $18-25K range, occasionally in the $40s, rarely in the
$50K+ range. Or at least, absent other indicators, this is the sort of
person I would assume I was talking to if one of my players came up and
wanted to start a conversation. I haven't really done any demographics or
anything, this is just what I tend to expect from any random player --
because about ninety percent of the time, this is what they report as their
situation.

To be honest, I don't particularly find these measures important, because
they tend to be most useful in selling extraneous objects. I don't sell
things on my games, but that's primarily because I don't think anyone would
buy them. Ultimate Universe will be changing that; we'll have at *least*
two t-shirts available. ;)

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu