[MUD-Dev] Virtual machine design

Sat Apr 17 14:26:40 CEST 1999

[Felix A. Croes:]

 >Too slow: taking a look at the history of the LPmud server family,
 >it is interesting to note that the "speed wars" which spurred much
 >of the development of the various servers until two or three years
 >ago have all but died out.  The reason for this is that with
 >current hardware, or even with previous generation hardware, most
 >of these muds have all the speed that they'll ever need.

I think the rule from other areas of programming applies to MUDs as well:
something like "as soon as you give them a significant boost in speed or
power, they are already thinking of things that will require 10 times as
much". This list has talked about simulating economies, and how you
have to approximate them because you can't truly simulate them. Give us
100x more speed and maybe a reasonable economy or ecology *can* be
simulated. I'm hoping that my server, on this box, will be able to
run about 2000 machines (mobiles/robots) when I'm done with it. Is that
enough? Never!

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu