[MUD-Dev] mud vs. mush membership

Jay Carlson nop at mitre.org
Mon Aug 2 11:18:16 CEST 1999

Adam Wiggins wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Jay Carlson wrote:
> > Adam Wiggins writes:
> > > Here's my informal poll from the mud connector.  (BTW if your favorite
> > > mud isn't listed on the mud connector, or is out of date, bug the
admin -
> > > especially if YOU are the admin. :) This thing has been a great
> > > resource to
> > > the mud community for a long time.)
> >
> > No.  My favorite mud isn't publicized, and the users and the
administrators
> > are pretty happy about that.
>
> Well, okay - I should have said, "if you interested in your mud growing
> at all..."

It's growing.

I think I'm still paranoid from the days when Gopher was king, and JHM was
listed like two clicks from the top of the root gopher server---we
experienced the usual influx-of-newbies disaster.  JHM had it pretty easy
compared to LambdaMOO, what with getting mentioned in WiReD every few
issues.

> I completely understand wanting to be discriminating about who is involved
> in your community.  But I don't think that low publicity is necessarily
> the way to do it - mud-dev has managed to keep a very cultivated crowd
> despite relatively high publicity (public website, searchable archives,
> et al).  It stays "elite" due to the efforts of the administrator.

> If your admin is willing to put in the same effort on your mud,
> you can get the same effect - filter out all the chaffe and being
> left with an influx of fresh faces that have a lot to contribute.

How do we do that?

Jay

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu