[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #142 - 4 msgs

Wes Connell wconnell at adhesive.com
Tue Aug 17 12:39:31 CEST 1999

I read it on Raph's Design Laws page that said something to the effect of
no matter how complex the system is players will, through trial and error,
learn every nook and cranny about the system.

So even if we have super cool ecologies and economies the players will
always find the best way to do things and stick with those. In turn
sorta making the rest useless.

Of course this depends on the type of player (another thing about the four
types of players discussed on Raph's page). If you have a PowerGamer then
the above will happen. If you have a RolePlayer then probably not.

On the other hand, the super cool ecologies and economies can be quests in
themselves. The players work hard to disect the system, learning the game,
and advancing. Which is what we want. The end result may be a bunch of
players runnning around the same area with the same armor, but hey thats
when we add new players. =]

Forgive me If I haven't given proper credit for the ideas mentioned on
Raph's page. I lost the address to it. =] Can someone repost it?

p.s. I also lost the faq.

Wes!
wconnell at adhesive.com
		-- Henry Spencer