[MUD-Dev] Fair/Unfair? Scenarios (fwd)

Mik Clarke mikclrk at attglobal.net
Wed Dec 8 18:41:23 CET 1999

Matthew Mihaly wrote:

> I don't feel that a play has much to do with the overall experience of an
> MMORPG. A play is a singular experience with a beginning and a definite
> end. There's no such thing as the centerpiece of a player's story in a
> MMORPG because it's not just a sequence of rigidly defined experiences,
> like a play or most videogames are.

Think of their whole life as a play made up of lots and lots of short,
more or less interconnected scenes.  Like chapters in a book or scenes
in a road movie.  There is a story there - the story of A Player and
it interacts with the stories of all of the other players.  Can a mud
survive without giving each player a chance to create their own fairly
rewarding story?

Mik

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu