[MUD-Dev] The grass is always greener in the other field

Fri Dec 17 00:01:05 CET 1999

"Bruce Mitchener, Jr." wrote:
> all well researched.  This would may not be a good solution for all of the
> database needs as the log files could end up being far larger than the usual
> DB files, if the objects were involved in frequent state changes.

What about "time stamping" containers and objects when they (or their
content) change?  If you make 255 incremental backups per each full backup
then you could use one byte for this purpose.

> Another potential solution might be to use separate databases for varying
> types of classes of objects.  In this way, you can store things like homes
> in a separate DB which has a set of policies aimed at providing a more
> optimal storage strategy.

I guess many MUDs do this with avatars already. An owned house could be
viewed as an avatar as well. (just like a home page on the web).

Database theory is not my strong side. Maybe there are others that feel the
same way? I am not all that interested in conventional pragmatic databases,
but the more flexible (theoretically based) ones. If there are other list
members who feel like getting up to date on database/relation/OO research,
then maybe we could spawn off a little short term project, ending up with a
survey-paper beneficial to the mudding community?

--
Ola Fosheim Groestad,Norway      http://www.notam.uio.no/~olagr/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu