[MUD-Dev] Proper liscense for MUD source? Perhaps not GPL... (fwd)

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Wed Dec 22 15:22:52 CET 1999

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:07:48 -0500 (EST)
Rahul Sinha <rsinha at glue.umd.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 00:17:55 -0500 (EST) Rahul Sinha
>> <rsinha at glue.umd.edu> wrote:

> (we are assuming being OSD-compliant is not an issue, I am pretty
> sure that the OSD is totally incompatible with the aim of the
> original license that we are discussing)

The expressed intent it violates OSD for sections #5, #6, and
arguably #9.

BTW:  Please lose the e. e. cummings bit.

>> Agreed, which was part of my point on my source being mine and
>> therefore the choice of license being mine.

> but while your modifications are yours, they are also derivative
> works.

> Its like patents.  If your patent extends someone elses, or relies
> on tech that is in someone else's, even though this patent has
> been awarded to you, every time you want to license the tech out,
> you have to get permission from your predecessor. (OTOH no one
> else can license your code out w/o your permission)

With the exception that this case enforces a license on me in the
normal use of my code.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu