[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #237 - 9 msgs

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Dec 24 12:13:32 CET 1999

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:02:51 -0600 (CST)
Cat  <cat at realtime.net> wrote:

> Even a hobby project shouldn't have too much trouble getting
> enough computing power together to smoothly handle a few hundred
> simultaneous players...

I have sitting here beside me, unused, a dual P-III with half Gig of
RAM and a few dozen Gig of Fast/Wide SCSI-III in a 4U rackmount.  I
can colo the box on a T1 for just over $150/month.  The problem is
that I don't particularly have a use for that machine.  What to do?

> (If you're not getting an inflated salary yet, try a
> headhunter. :X)

<kof>  The Valley is getting very silly.  <kof>

> Distributing the game processes over machines on a LAN (or
> multiple CPUs in a box with shared memory) solves that problem
> quite decently in my opinion.

You might like to read a couple papers I've got stashed down at the
bottom of my page at kanga.nu:

  "SMP scaling considered harmful"

and

  "The Labs and Linux"

which expands on some of the base ideas.  I'm not convinced of all
his assertions, but he makes a good argument.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu