[MUD-Dev] Two threads forced to one CPU? (was: Collecting ideas for a MUD server...)

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Wed Dec 29 02:46:17 CET 1999

cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA wrote:
> sometimes > 32 bits, these can work atomically. Unless you know the
> specifics, however, and want your software to not be readily portable to
> other CPU variants (even other I32's!), don't assume anything.

Indeed. If you're on win32, use the Interlocked...() family of functions
if you have a good reason to use static/global data. If you don't have
functions of that sort, write them--and be very aware of the high cost
of such functions, and the much higher cost of using mutexes to simulate
them.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
Conspiracy theorists mistakenly assume others think before acting.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu