[MUD-Dev] Re: Influential muds

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon Feb 15 16:16:12 CET 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Brandon J. Rickman <ashes at pc4.zennet.com>
To: 'mud-dev at kanga.nu' <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Monday, February 15, 1999 2:50 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: Influential muds

>On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Koster, Raph wrote:
>> So my question is something that sort of overlaps material that is in the
>> FAQ, but not really. What do you think are the most important and/or
>> influential muds, and why? What contributions did they make to the state
of
>> the art, or what significant muds owe a lot to them?
>
>I'd like to nominate ZenMOO (http://www.zennet.com/pub/moo/zenmoo/html/)
>as the Most Important Mud Ever.

The Most Important Mud Ever (MIME? Ooh).... in my personal estimation, THE
single most influential MUD from a development standpoint is clearly the
original Diku. With more than 25 descendants and nearly a dozen *direct*
descendants, how can any other codebase even hope to stack up? I think it
would be safe to say that virtually every MUD developer and player has at
some time played and/or staffed a Diku variant -- unless he has pointedly
avoided them. Diku is close to the heart of just about every MUD community,
even if it's considered an incarnation of pure evil by that community.