[MUD-Dev] Re: pet peeves

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Fri Feb 19 18:19:56 CET 1999

Wes Connell wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Robert Woods wrote:
>
> > permanent.  By that time, they should at least have a bit of power, have
> > been able to make some alliances, whether through friendship, common
> > guilds/clans/etc., or whatever, and have an idea of how everything works.
> > Of course, I've always been a big protector of newbies, anyway :-)
>
> How instead of an actual breaking point for permadeath just allow a
> certain amount of lives. Sorta like a video game. I've never seen that
> imp'd into a mud before. When you are a newbie you recieve three lives.
> After they are all used up you die. Quests could be used to give extra
> lives and such.

I once played a mud on which your "constitution" had a chance of decrementing
every time you died, eventually resulting in permanent death.  I found the
system unpleasant to play in, as I'd rather go out with a bang than watch my
character slowly fade away.

> The problem that I see with a permadeath breaking point is that you would
> hardly ever see any characters over level XX. On non-permadeath muds that
> allow pkilling only after a certain level XX, the newbies coming out of
> the saftey get a very rude awakening when they a slaughtered like the
> fresh meat they are.

Yes that can be a problem, which is why in my opinion permadeath works much
better on levelless muds.

KaVir.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu