[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD Design doc (long)

Sun Jan 3 21:10:00 CET 1999

[Emil Eifrem:]

 >The problem is that I just don't think it would work in practice. I mean,
 >the preprocessing for 'get' and 'drop' is pretty similar (is the object
 >there? can it be manipulated by the character?) but what about 'dodge',
 >'who', 'say' and 'cast'? -shrug-

Simple. Don't use the same generic code for all verbs. That way it does
what is appropriate for the verb.

 >I know there are people out there who have implemented or are considering
 >implementing this -- how did you set it up?

I did it pretty much exactly as I described. I have a number of special
verb routines for things like 'look', 'get', 'drop', 'put in', 'take from',
etc., and then some generic routines that can be used for generic verbs
that deal with objects (turn, smell, touch, ...) Other classes of verbs,
like combat ones, building ones, communication, etc. have simpler and
more specific forms of generic handling.

The key is to have the flexibility in the system of not having to treat
all verbs the same.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation. - me

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA