[MUD-Dev] Re: Levels versus Skills, who uses them and when.

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Jan 3 22:37:27 CET 1999

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 10:57:50 -0800
Till Eulenspiegel<choke at sirius.com> wrote:

> "All skill-based systems are level based.  It just takes a pendant
> and a magnifying glass to find them."  J Lambert.

> I've heard this argument before, and I wonder how many people agree
> with this sentiment?

The argument relies on the assumption that any system that defines or
implies a scale of advancement (single or multiple) can be considered
a variation on s simple level system.

I've found it a *really* tough argument to counter.  The old, and very
workable, saw of, "past a certain elvel of complexity (or detail), it
just doesn't matter any more," probably wins the day however.  Few
things are absolutes in games -- especially since the players have
already pre-defined that the purpose of the game is to play, not to
solve.

> I differentiate level and skill systems based on whether the player
> gains HPs as they achieve more power as one of the prime measures.
> Sounds like an odd yardstick but it works pretty well.

FWIW while I have HP's, they almost never vary.  They are specific to
a particular body (bodies do change slightly with age and use, and can
be significantly affected by other causes, but that's a different
matter).  If you want more HP's or some other physical stat, then you
go steal a body with those characteristics.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...