[MUD-Dev] Re: Intelligent WebGlimpse archive searching at Kanga.Nu

Dominic J. Eidson sauron at the-infinite.org
Fri Jan 8 17:49:27 CET 1999

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Marian Griffith wrote:

[Snip]

> I am absolutely convinced  that this is all extremely smart and wonder-
> full. But what does it mean? I know I am not the brightest light around
> this list,  but would it by any chance be possible to translate this in
> something resembling english, please?

Quick rundown...

To search for more than one word (AND), use ; (semi-colon)

For example - Search for "Marian" AND "Boffo":    Marian;Boffo

To exclude something, prefix it with a ~ (tilde)

for instance, "Marian", AND NOT "Boffo":  Marian;~Boffo

for boolean OR, use , (comma)

For instance, "Marian", AND ("Boffo" OR "Bungo"): {Boffo,Bungo};Marian

> I understand patterns,  though I somehow doubt we are talking about the
> same thing here. But simple strings, strings with classes of characters
> sets of strings, wild cards and regular expressions....
> Do I need to know about that?

Probably not... in most cases AND, OR, NOT should suffice (; and , and ~),
for the rest, It would be safe to assume that any search pattern grep
(agrep, specifically) can handle, glimpse can.

I hope this helps a little

--
Dominic J. Eidson
                                         "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli