[MUD-Dev] Re: Levels versus Skills, who uses them and when.

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Thu Jan 14 20:43:29 CET 1999

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:53:41 -0800
Caliban Tiresias Darklock<caliban at darklock.com> wrote:

> From: Koster, Raph

>> I have been playing the same "character" on muds and in
>> standalone RPGs for fifteen YEARS now.

Ditto, tho with a different character name and with far less
justification (I merely always play that name -- I have no
attachment to the character underneath it).

> I actually won't start playing a MUD where a character named
> Caliban already exists...

I may start playing, but I certainly won't continue.

> Yeah, I know, I'm really anal about this sort of thing. ;)

I plead terminal laziness.  I just can't be bothered to remember
character names.  I have three: a main character, a tester, and a
mule (actually I've mostly used him for revenge or 5th column
tactics).  They've all had the same names since 1985.

> The supercharacter potential is very important to me. I've been
> gaming for over two decades, and it's difficult to find people who
> play at the same level and in the same way I do.

I find a lot of what I do I'd term "meta-play".  I don't really play
the game as a normal player, but as an uber-player, one who knows
and understands many games, and is playing more for the enjoyment of
understanding the current game/old_friend, than in any immersive
involvement.

> When I *do* interact with others, they either neglect or
> overemphasise my gaming experience... in other words, I am not
> treated as a "preferred member" at any time, but as an equal
> member or as some sort of group president. I don't like either of
> those dynamics. When a player in the group has significant
> experience, that experience SHOULD be recognised, but should NOT
> override the opinions and desires of others. In tabletop gaming,
> most groups recognise my experience the way I feel it should be
> recognised...  there's some added weight, but not so much that I
> can't be overridden by the group.

At the danger of treading into meta territory, considering MUD-Dev
as a MUD, what of the same danger and problem with the more
established (well known, reputations, etc) posters in MUD-Dev, or
even of myself here?  There is a definate peerage (nod to Lambert)
in the older posters in MUD-Dev.  I find it worrisome.  It also acts
as a significant barrier to entry for new posters.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
(Contractor)                             Internet: coder at kanga.nu
---------(*)                    Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...