[MUD-Dev] Sockets and fibers

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Jan 20 09:11:06 CET 1999

Hopefully, this won't bounce. Once I get a message through, I'll pump
server refresh problem on my end. Can't be helped.)

Has anyone here looked at the possibilities of spawning a single thread
which handles sockets and then using Microsoft's "fibers" to handle
individual sockets? How much of the one-thread-per-socket problem would be
solved by this? With the speed of modern computers, what are the real
problems with just serialising the socket handling -- one thread with all
the sockets, servicing each socket in turn for some small time slice?

Yes, I know, writing MUD servers under Windows is Bad. Granted. All the
same. ;)