[MUD-Dev] Subdue

Holly Sommer hsommer at micro.ti.com
Wed Jan 27 15:24:21 CET 1999

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Richard Woolcock wrote:

> Quzah [softhome] wrote:
> > >
> > >Aye, but how do you keep track of how 'broken' the horse is??  I'd bet
> > >it relates closely to what most of us now use as HP :)

Well, what I was thinking of is a bit more complex than that, but let me
see if I can elaborate (ie: think out loud for a moment).

Subduing would be akin to the purpose of wrestling - that is, determining
who is the better wrestler, without having to kill your opponent. The
Roman gladiator approach of "last one left alive wins" is hackneyed :) If
you can get to a point at which fighting is paused, where the current
"winner" of the fight (least beat-up?) has the opportunity to either
finish off his opponent or let the other guy cry uncle... well, I should
think that takes more finesse than just clubbing someone in the head, til
they are a bloody pulp.

For NPCs I could see this as practical to strip off aggro bits, or to
convert a pack animal into a legit mount. For PCs, it would serve as
humiliation without death. The "I spared your life, now go, you pitiful
excuse for a warrior, or I'll finish off what I started here" attitude.

Anyhow, that's more what I had going through my mind than tracking how
"broken" a (N)PC is, over time.

> powers).  Although players cannot fall below -10hp, they *can* loose
> arms and legs, and this has resulted in various "punishments" that go
> far beyond simple PK.  Most players are able to grow back lost limbs
> in one way or another though.  Still, this results in very much a sort
> of 'subdue' combat, with killing only an option.

"What are you going to do? Bleed all over me?"

-Holly