[MUD-Dev] Re: processors

Greg Underwood gunderwood at donet.com
Sun Jan 31 21:17:37 CET 1999

At 06:17 PM 1/30/99 -0800, JC wrote:

<...>

>You need to find out where you bottlenecks are, what system
>performance characteristics are constraining your _perceived_
>perfomance, and what the relative sources and values of those two
>things are.  Once you know the parameters of your problem, you can
>then selectively handle *that* and know that you will actually resolve
>the problem.
>
>Early initial interesting values:

<...many excelent questions snipped...>

I'm in a slightly different boat from Matt (diablo).  I understood about
90% of those questions, but I have only a vauge idea of how to go about
finding out the answers.  You listed a few utils in the last section, JC,
but for the most part I'd be stumped on how to go about checking these
potential problems.  Would it be possible to generate a list of
utils/methods for checking these things?  It seems like adding this list to
the FAQ / web page would be most usefull.

On a side note, does anyone know of any good, free profilers, for linux or
Win9x?

-Greg