[MUD-Dev] Containing automation?

Timothy O'Neill Dang timothy at nmia.com
Mon Jul 19 15:05:12 CEST 1999

Hello-

I'd be very interested in any recommendations on design and programming
methods of preventing client-side automation, whether in graphical or
text-based games.

The basic gist I have so far is, include randomness from a large
possibility space, with high payoffs for reacting properly or penalties
for failing to do so. In theory I can see that this will make automation
more difficult, and hopefully keep things entertaining enough that folks
don't want to macro.

I'm largely concerned with automation of trade skills, however, and while
I'm sure it's possible to design them to act just as complex and exciting
as combat, I haven't seen it done yet. Trade skills, probably naturally,
tend to be pretty straightforward in execution. My concern is preventing a
bot from buying material, making good, buying material, making good, put
good in bank, buying material, making good...

Thanks lots

Timothy O'Neill Dang/Cretog8
timothy at nmia.com
H: 505-843-6966