[MUD-Dev] Containing automation?

Asmodeus asmodeus at benshaw.com
Tue Jul 20 14:30:04 CEST 1999

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Koster, Raph wrote:

> [...]

 Actually, I, for one am interested in this.  If you don't know what
people can, and are willing to do to 'beat the game,' you can't protect
against it.

<snip>

> >  Assign specialties to each type of work, and have general
> > labourers. Each type of work takes X investment in raw materials and X
> > investment in labour-hours. How much a labour hour costs
> > would depend on
> > the type of work being done. Just hire the workers, and let
> > them go at it.
> > Totally automated, but also a totally level playing field as
> > no one has to
> > know anything about clients to do it.
>
> It would certainly radically alter the economy! Some things I can think of
> off the top of my head related to this:
>
> - you can't tie it to an advancement model then, since all players would
> advance steadily at the same rate from it. Certainly not a usage-based
> advancement model. I have come to hate usage based advancement models though
> (and will gladly explain why if anyone asks. :)

 Again, I'm asking "why?"  Anything besides the opportunity for lots of
macroing by the players to advance through that advancement model?
Unfortunately, IMO, usage-based models make the most logical sense: With a
straight XP one (like traditional AD&D, for instance), the player
(amazingly) gets better at doing everything by killing monsters.  It
doesn't matter if he/she/it actually used those skills--they get improved
anyways.  What other advancement models are out there?

.Shawn

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu