[MUD-Dev] dispatching events

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Thu Jul 22 01:02:23 CEST 1999

I'm working on a lockless C&C game driver at the moment, and I'm
wondering how others handle the dispatching of events. I see three
approaches:

[1] Calling object/function pairs by name. This is simple, but it seems
rather less flexible than other approaches.

[2] Subscriptions. In this case I'm referring to events that trigger
calls to all subscribers as a single atomic unit. More flexible, but I
can easily envision situations where events have to be restarted
repeatedly if there are many subscribers.

[3] A combination of the two, using two stage events, where the first
stage generates a list of pending object/function pair calls. This would
allow each call to be handled atomically, but is far more complex.

I'm experimenting with #3 right now--anyone got any comments on the
subject?
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
Conspiracy theorists mistakenly assume others think before acting.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu